My Valedictory
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 by RoNRoNTuRoN in
Valedictory Address
RonRonTuron
Class 2006
FEU- Institute of Nursing
Delivered at Far Eastern University’s 78th Commencement Exercises at PICC, April 17, 2006.
Dr. Lourdes Montinola, Chair, Board of Trustees, Dr. Lydyia Echauz, President, Dr Elizabeth Melchor, Vice President for Academic Affairs, , distinguished guests, administrators, faculty, dear parents, fellow graduates, ladies and gentlemen, good morning!
In the last chapter of El Filibusterismo, Father Florentino made this cry of grief as our country finds itself in its darkest moments:
“Where are the youth who will consecrate their golden hours, their illusions and their enthusiasm to the welfare of their native land? Where are the youth who will generously pour out their blood to wash away so much shame, so much crime, so much abomination? Where are you, Oh youth, who will embody in yourselves the vigor of life that has left our veins, the purity of ideas that has been contaminated in our brains, the fire of enthusiasm that has been quenched in our hearts? We await, Oh youth, come, for we await you!”
The quotation was not written by Rizal as a way to dramatically end a novel nor did Guilermo Tolentino encrypt this passage in front of the UP Oblation to serve as a decoration. It was made to serve a purpose and that is to awaken us, the youth. For we hold in our hearts the dreams that our national hero once aspired for our country. We serve as the light that guides our panting country in its way towards a brighter future. As we march today with our diploma in our grasp, we start to fulfill our task to our motherland and to humankind: to use our enduring ideals of service and sacrifice to the country and all of humanity. We now face the harshness of real life and try to win over its hurdles and trials. We will start to fulfill our destiny and fate and bring to life the profession we once dreamed of: being a full-pledged nurse. We are now equipped with overflowing knowledge and sufficient skills to uplift our society. Yes, our chosen profession is no wonderland as we once perceived it to be, for we hold in our hands the lives of others. Now, we will start our mission and our creed to ignite the magic that would heal the cancers of our society. As the stars are meant to shine in the darkest nights, we, nursing graduates are meant to bring light to the lives of people and uplift the delivery of health care in our country.
As our journey through our collegiate life ends, I recall more importantly the road we traversed more than the destination we reached at this point in our lives. The struggles, pains, sacrifices and grieves of our journey are the sum total of what we are today.
Finally, all the hardships, all the pains, those sleepless nights and endless days are over. I should be jumping for joy and be thankful that everything has finally come to an end but I simply can’t. I found myself sinking deeper into my thoughts, most especially the thought of leaving the institute whom I love. After investing four years of effort in Far Eastern University, I find it hard to see myself leaving her. Now, I believe that I have conquered the four-year test but the memories it sculpted in me will conquer me forever. I learned to value a lot of things. Every minute gave me laughter and values. Times that somehow, I don’t want to end, days that gave me the right direction of my life. And for us, Class 2006, who have gone bone-breaking torments and excruciating pains, there is no worry of downfall in the real field, because four years in the Institute of Nursing are enough to make us stronger and wittier, more skillful indeed. Like an animal, we have been tamed. Like a cell, I have been cultured.
As we bid goodbye to our mentors, classmates and friends, we must not forget every bit of knowledge we learned. It will be our armor: days, months and years and for the rest of our lives and surely, it will bring us treasures a thousand fold. We must always remember that learning is endless and should not end at this day. We have reached this end phase but remember that this is only a prelude to another.
On behalf of the Class 2006, I would like particularly to thank those people who have made our memories here worthwhile: all the parents and relatives who sacrificed blood, sweat and tears to support our four years’ endeavors, the professors and clinical instructors who inspired us and forced us to go on when every fibril in our bodies yearns to quit, the Institute of Nursing for maintaining the quality our illustrious institution, and of course to our Lord Almighty for without Him, this would not have been worth it all.
And finally, I would personally like to thank my batch mates, for despite any difficulties we might have encountered, individually or collectively, you all managed to make me feel like I was part of something great.
Tomorrow, let us take the next step towards our destined path. Make a difference! But today, relax, celebrate and enjoy for we deserve a pat on the back for a superb job done!
Thank You!

wow! summa or magna?
'06 ka pala. i think i was involved with someone from your batch. or was it '07? lol.